Monkeypox spreads to six more states

Monkeypox spreads to six more states

  • Total suspected cases now  31

  • Lagos confirms 2 suspected cases

Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu
NCDC Chief Executive

Six more states have reported cases of suspected monkeypox, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said today in a news release.  This brings to 31, the total number of cases recorded, so far, since the outbreak was first reported in Bayelsa state on September 22.

NCDC  listed the seven affected states as: Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom,  Cross River,  Ekiti, Lagos and Ogun.

The statement signed  signed by NCDC Chief Executive  Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu  disclosed that samples  had  been collected from each suspected case for laboratory confirmation and results  are being awaited.

“So  far, there  have  been  no deaths recorded.  It is unlikely that many  of the suspected cases  are actually           monkeypox, but  all are being investigated.

“All the suspected  cases  are  currently receiving  appropriate  medical care and the patients are all improving clinically in their various States. The Federal Ministry of Health through the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is supporting the affected States to ensure the outbreak  is brought under control and to limit further spread,’ the statement further  said.

Dr.  Chikwe said the centre had activated it’s Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) to coordinate the outbreak, investigation and response across the affected states. He added that The EOC  is currently supporting State Ministries of Health in their response  to the outbreak  through active case finding, epidemiological investigation and contact  tracing.

“Measures have been put  in place to ensure effective  sample collection and testing to enable  laboratory confirmation.  Risk communication activities have been  heightened to advise  the public on preventive measures. All 36 States and the FCT have been notified for preparedness,“ he further said

Meanwhile, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr.  Jide Idris announced on Monday,  that two suspected cases of Monkeypox have been recorded in the state and are currently being investigated.

“Though no confirmed case has been recorded, there is need to sensitise members of the public and provide adequate information on measures for prevention and control of the disease in line with the policy of the State government,” he said.

Idris disclosed that the two suspected cases were recorded in a private hospital which he did not disclosed.

He added that one of the suspects just came from Bayelsa State and ate Bush meat.

Idris said the two suspects were currently being quarantined in the their various houses pending the result of the investigation.

The commissioner said in the wake of this outbreak, the state government is reiterating the need for members of the public to observe and maintain a high standard of personal and environmental hygiene at all times as part of the precautionary measures to prevent the spread to the State.

He urged members of the public to be vigilant and report any suspected case of the disease to the nearest public health facility or the Directorate of Disease Control in the State Ministry of Health.

“Also, health workers are advised to practice universal safety precautions in the management of suspected or confirmed cases, wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when attending to cases, wash hands after each contact with patient or contaminated materials while surveillance system must be strengthened.

“The state government has mobilised the Disease Surveillance Officers in the 57 LGAs and LCDAs in the state and health workers in both public and private health facilities have been placed on high alert,” Idris said.

Idris called on residents of the State to remain calm and go about their businesses without fear as the government had put in place adequate measures to effectively prevent and control the spread of the infection to the State.

“In case of any suspected case of Monkey Pox, the Lagos State Ministry of Health should be notified through the following mobile lines: 08037170614, 09087106072,” he said.

About author

You might also like

BREAKING NEWS 0 Comments

Henrietta Fore becomes new UNICEF Executive Director

Henrietta Fore has assumed office on January 1 as UNICEF’s seventh Executive Director.  Ms. Fore brings to the role more than four decades of private and public sector leadership experience. “I am

BREAKING NEWS 0 Comments

NMA decries low health budget

The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) on Friday appealed to the Federal Government to increase budgetary allocation to the health sector to improve healthcare delivery in the country. Dr Aniekeme Uwah,

NEWS 0 Comments

World Wildlife Day: U.S. Urges Nigerians to protect endangered wildlife 

The United States Deputy Chief of Mission Mr. David Young, has urged Nigerians to help stop the trafficking and habitat destruction of Nigeria’s many endangered native species, including the Cross

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply