How my kidney was harvested, 16-year old boy narrates ordeal in court

A 16-Year-Old Boy, yesterday told an FCT High Court in Zuba that he was offered N1 million by one Mr Emmanuel Olorunlaye, for his kidney to be removed at Alliance Hospital, Abuja.

The teenager made this known while being led in evidence by the prosecuting counsel, Hassan Tahir. The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) charged the defendants alongside the hospital with 11 counts bordering on organ harvesting.

The defendants are the Medical Director, Alliance Hospital, Dr Christopher Otabor, Emmanuel Olorunlaye, Chikaodili Ugochukwu, Administrative Secretary of the hospital and Dr Aremu Abayomi. The boy said he met Olorunlaye, who told him he was the manager of Alliance Hospital, through a friend in February 2023.

“My friend told me that we were going for a job at the Alliance Hospital and we went to see Olorunlaye who took us for our blood samples to be taken. “He gave us transport money and asked me if I knew what I was about to do in the hospital. I answered no and he told me to ask my friend. “I asked my friend, who did not tell me what we were doing in the hospital, but later informed me that Olorunlaye asked us to return to the hospital,” he said.

The witness said Olorunlaye asked about his health and informed him that he was about to sell his kidney for N1 million. “I declined the offer and Olorunlaye asked us to go and return to the hospital for the work we were initially supposed to do, which was to distribute medication.

“When we got back to the hospital, Olorunlaye asked why we were scared to accept his offer and asked us to wait for his boss, Ugochukwu and when she arrived, he handed me over to her.” He alleged that Ugochukwu took him to an FCT high court where he signed a document and was asked to wait outside for her. “Six minutes later she came out and we went back to the hospital and she handed me over to a driver and a nurse.

I was taken to Eco Lab for a scan and driven back to Alliance Hospital afterwards. “Olorunlaye told me that I was going to sleep in the hospital because it was late to go back home, so while I was there, a nurse came and put a drip on me, then Ugochukwu came with some documents and asked me to sign and I did.

“I was weak and wheeled into the theatre and I laid on the bed, then I overheard the nurse asking for Dr Aremu to be called, I slept off and when I woke up the nurse informed me I woke up on the third day after the operation. “I tried to stand up but I felt as if I was carrying a heavy load inside of me, I tried to disconnect the drip that was attached to me, but the nurse asked me to calm down and rest,” he said.

After some minutes, the boy said the nurse disconnected the drip line and wheeled him back to the room. He said he was asleep and hours later Olorunlaye walked in, asked him how he felt and said: “thank God the operation was successful.”

He said that was when he realised that his kidney had been removed. While cross-examining the witness, Tahir asked the boy to show the court his scar and asked how he had been feeling. “I do not feel as strong as before and I am still on medication,” he said. The defence counsel, Afam Osigwe, SAN asked the boy if he signed an affidavit and can confirm that he stated that he was 18 years old in the affidavit.

Osigwe also asked if he could confirm that the patient, Egbuson Samson whom his kidney was donated to was his relative and he was not being compelled to donate his kidney. The boy answered that he only signed on a light pen at the high court and signed documents before the surgery while he was weak.

The judge Kezziah Ogbonnaya however adjourned the matter until May 7 for continuation of hearing.

  • The Telegraph

About author

You might also like

UNICEF, Airtel Nigeria expand partnership to support U-Report

UNICEF has signed an agreement with Airtel Nigeria to further expand telecommunication services to boost U-Report, UNICEF’s unique social media platform that empowers young people and communities with information to

BREAKING NEWS 0 Comments

Nigeria is far behind in modern cancer treatment  –  Indian Cancer specialist

A renowned Indian radiation oncologist (specialist in cancer treatment) Dr. Madhusudhan, currently on a visit to the country, says Nigeria is still lagging behind in the use of  modern technologies

WHO declares end to mpox public health emergency

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Thursday it was ending its 10-month-long global health emergency for mpox, a viral disease that led to confirmed cases in more than a

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply