12 benefit from SEOF-sponsored open heart surgeries in Anambra

12 benefit from SEOF-sponsored open heart surgeries in Anambra

No fewer than  12 patients have benefited from Sir Emeka Okwuosa Foundation (SEOF)-sponsored Open Heart Surgeries, conducted from May 14 to 26th May 2023, at Dame Irene Okwuosa Memorial Hospital, DIOMH, Oraifite, Ekwusigo Local Government Area, Anambra State.

The Medical Mission, was the sixth since its inception in 2021, and the third involving Open Heart Surgeries, which began in May 2022, when DIOMH, a world class cardiology facility and flagship project of SEOF, was opened.

Sir Okwuosa, in collaboration with VOOM Foundation USA, a group of highly skilled medical experts in Cardiology, Nephrology, and Critical Care based in College Station, Texas, USA, has been sponsoring the exercise almost at no cost to lucky patients from across Nigeria States.

Speaking with newsmen at Oraifite Ekwusigo LGA, the Chief Medical Director (CMD), of DIOMH, Dr Chimaobi Nwagbo, said that the May 2023 Medical Mission of SEOF, had 12 Open Heart Surgeries performed successfully.

Other areas surgeries were conducted in according to him includes, Mintral Valve Replacement, Coronary Artery Bypass Graft, Cardiac Catheterization, Benstall Operation with Aortic Valve Replacement, with all the patients in stable condition.

According to him, the patients came from Borno state, Ebonyi, Abia, Enugu, Imo and Anambra States.

Dr Nwagbo, recalled that a total of 33 adults and children benefited from the two previous Open Heart Surgeries sponsored by SEOF and VOOM Foundation which were performed in DIOMH, Oraifite.

He further stated that DIOMH, hit a healthcare milestone in Africa when it performed three Open Heart Surgeries in a day and a total of 25 Open Heart Surgeries in less than two weeks in Oraifite during the May 2022.

“23 or 70 percent of these Open Heart Surgeries were performed at no cost to beneficiaries, while the remaining 10 or 30% were highly subsidised at just 14 percent – 20% of the cost charged for those surgeries by Nigerian hospitals. The total bill borne by SEOF for the 33 Open Heart Surgeries in 2022 is in excess of N300 million.

“At the Community Health Fair organized by the Foundation on Wednesday, May, 24, 2023 to round off this year’s Medical Mission, over 1000 people with various ailments were given free medical attention.

“The Community Health Fair provided free treatment for Diabetes, Arthritis, Malaria, Hypertension, Chronic Pain, Typhoid, and Eye Care with eye free glasses given to patients, just as the foundation dispensed drugs and conducted clinical examinations free of charge.”

About author

You might also like

How America reduced diabetes foot complication – Podiatric trainer

The complication of diabetes foot among diabetes patients has been reduced by over 80%, over the years, in the United States of America, thanks to a rapid development of podiatry

Lagos unveils guidelines to regulate ART practice

Makes registration of Assisted Fertility and Reproductive Health  providers compulsory Commissioner for Health in Lagos State, Dr. Jide Idris has unveiled new regulations and guidelines to guide assisted fertility practice

FG begins emergency ambulance service Friday

The Federal Government will begin the pilot phase of the emergency ambulance services on Friday in Abuja to facilitate access to first aid and healthcare in life-threatening situations. The Chairman,


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply