UBTH confirms 3 COVID-19 cases, 1 death

UBTH confirms 3 COVID-19 cases, 1 death

  •  25 doctors go into isolation

  • Country now has 232 confirmed cases

The Management of University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) says one of the three patients, who was confirmed to have tested positive for COVID-19, has died just as the number of confirmed cases in the country rose to 232 by 9.30 pm on April 5.

A statement by the Chief Medical Director of UBTH, Prof. Darlington Obaseki,  on Sunday April 5 in Benin said the dead patient was one of the three cases currently being managed in the hospital.

“The two surviving patients are currently being cared for by our dedicated staff in an isolation ward, with restricted access.

“Prior to the confirmation of their COVID-19 status, some of our healthcare staffers were exposed to these patients whilst using only personal protection equipment, such as surgical face-masks and gloves.

“Currently all the members of staff, who are exposed to these patients, are asymptomatic and they are being monitored closely, according to the current guidelines.

“Further measures have been put in place to ensure that our staffers are not unduly exposed to risks of infection with COVID-19 in the course of their providing care for patients who come to the hospital for various reasons.

“Healthcare workers are on the frontline during this pandemic and are, therefore, at higher risk of being exposed than the general public”, Obaseki said.

He said the management and staff of UBTH had been observing standard precautions at all times to prevent the spread of the disease.

“I crave the support and understanding of the general public, as we fight this raging battle to contain and curb COVID-19”, he said.

Meanwhile, the Association of Residents Doctor (ARD), UBTH chapter, in a statement, said that 25 medical doctors, who had contact with the patients, had gone on mandatory self-isolation.

The association said that 13 of the 25 doctors were house officers, while about 12 were resident doctors.

ARD, however, expressed displeasure with the hospital’s management over what it described as poor handling of Coronavirus in the hospital.

According to the association, many of the health workers have complained of lack of personal protective equipment, like face masks and hand sanitisers.

A medical source, who pleaded anonymity, said that the Coronavirus crisis in the hospital started when three patients, who had earlier tested negative for the virus, were declared positive after further test.

Meanwhile,  a breakdown of cases by state as provided by NCDC shows that Lagos now has 120 confirmed cases, FCT- 47, Osun – 20,  Oyo – 9,  Edo – 9,  Bauchi – 6,  Akwa Ibom – 5,  Kaduna – 5,  Ogun – 4,  Enugu – 2,  Ekiti – 2 and one case each in  Rivers, Benue and  Ondo.

About author

You might also like

Nigeria’s first Coronavirus case discharged

The first case of Coronavirus in Nigeria, an Italian who flew into the country via Istanbul, has been cured and discharged, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has announced. Goovernor Sanwo-Olu, who is

Over 800 pregnant women die daily worldwide,  says UNFPA

As the world marked another Women’s Day on March 8, the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), disclosed that the world loses 800 pregnant women every day. Majority of the deaths occur

WHO DG:  Executive Board names 3 candidates

The World Health Organisation (WHO)  Executive Board has  selected three candidates for the position of Director General. The three candidates will be presented to the  World Health Assembly later in

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply