Catholic priest infected with Ebola

Catholic priest infected with Ebola

A Catholic priest has been quarantined after being infected with the deadly Ebola disease currently spreading in Democratic Republic of Congo.

He was infected in the town of Mbandaka, medical sources said Thursday.

“We have quarantined a priest from the diocese of Mbandaka-Bikoro who tested positive” for the Ebola virus, a medical source told AFP on condition of anonymity. Religious authorities could not be immediately contacted.

DRC health officials launched a small, targeted vaccination campaign this week to help rein in the latest Ebola outbreak in the country, which so far has claimed 27 lives.

Kinshasa announced on May 8 that there had been cases of the notorious haemorrhagic fever in a remote northwestern district called Bikoro.

Last Thursday, the first case was reported in a city — Mbandaka, a transport hub located on the Congo River.

According to a World Health Organization count, 58 cases have been identified since early April. It was not possible to establish on Thursday whether the priest was among them.

Meanwhile, UNICEF said Thursday it was committed to helping schools and children in the fight against the spread of the virus.

The charity’s DRC representative Gianfranco Rotigliano told AFP if a student becomes infected, he or she would be promptly taken care of.

Following a visit to schools in Bikoro, Rotigliano said: “I spoke with the schoolchildren, and they know the basic rules including washing their hands regularly, and not shaking hands.”

Ebola spreads through contact with bodily fluids and is both highly infectious and extremely lethal.

In Mbandaka, several families have installed buckets of water and soap at the entrance of the house for hand-washing, an AFP correspondent said.

“I asked my children to be careful not to shake hands with people and stop playing with their friends in games that would cause contact between them,” Claude, a father of several children, told AFP.

About author

You might also like

Lagos urges striking doctors to return to work

As doctors under the aegis of the Medical Guild commenced its 3-day warning strike in Lagos, the state government urged them to the strike and return to work. In a

Board arrests 7 unqualified Radiographers in Kaduna 

The federal Ministry of Health through one of its regulatory Agencies, the Radiography Registration  Board of Nigeria (RRBN) recently embarked on a maiden surveillance in Kaduna state during which many 

Group decries high rate of FGM practice in Oyo

Advocates stringent measures against perpetrators   A  Civil Society Organization, Hacey Health Initiative, has condemned the high rate of female genital mutilation (FGM) practice in Oyo state and called for stringent.

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply