Lagos confirms 2 deaths in diarrhoea upsurge

Dr. Jide Idris
Lagos State Commissioner of Health


The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr Jide Idris, on Tuesday confirmed that two deaths had been recorded from the 27 cases line-listed in acute diarrhoea disease in some local government areas.

Idris, alongside his counterpart from the Ministry of Information, Mr Steve Ayorinde, made this known at a joint news conference in Lagos. He said that the upsurge of acute diarrhea cases was the aftermath of flooding experienced by residents in some parts of the state following heavy rainfall in the last few
days.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the council areas where the diarrhoea disease was recorded were Shomolu, Oshodi-Isolo and Surulere. Idris said that the state government had put some measures in place to check the spread of the disease.

According to him, six of the cases were reported in Shomolu, two in Oshodi-Isolo and 14 in Surulere council area. Idris said that acute diarrhoea disease with or without vomiting was caused by a bacteria disease transmitted through ingestion of food or water contaminated with infective faeces. The commissioner appealed to Lagos residents to imbibe proper hygiene including, hand washing, washing of fruits and vegetables before eating.

He also advised them to boil water from unsafe sources before drinking and always ensure that they cover their foods and water all the time.

In his remarks, Ayorinde appealed to the mass media to help sensitise the residents, especially the young ones, on the danger of playing inside the flood water.

Ayorinde said that the state government would roll out a new set of sensitisation on the social media in addition to the ones already being aired on the conventional media.

About author

You might also like

BREAKING NEWS 0 Comments

Health workers set to cripple hospital services

 Begin strike today Health Minister shelves UNGA trip to dialogue with unions Unless the Federal Government prevails on health workers unions in the country to suspend their planned strike over

Sanwo-Olu activates incident command structure for Coronavirus

Takes Charge as Incident Commander Increases surveillance systems and bio-security capacity As part of efforts to strengthen preparedness and reduce the risk of importation of the deadly Coronavirus into Lagos,

Lagos confirms 181 COVID-19 positive cases in private school

260 students, staff under isolation Just few weeks after the Lagos State government reopened school, the State Government has confirmed 181 COVID-19 positive cases among students and staff of a

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply