Malaria outbreak in Namibia

Malaria outbreak in Namibia

Namibian flag
The Ministry of Health and Social Services of Namibia has reported a malaria outbreak in the northern part of the country which has already claimed thirteen lives in the Kavango region.

According to the ministry’s report, the outbreak is mostly severe in Kavango West and East region as well as Ohangwena, Zambezi with about 3,881 cases reported so far.

Health Minister Bernard Haufiku has requested for emergency funding to respond to the malaria outbreak.

While addressing parliament, Haufiku said that the total budget for the outbreak response is about 2.1 million Namibian dollars (161, 538 U.S. dollars) of which the ministry only has half of that.

He said that additional equipment such as tents and camping equipment as well as helicopters is needed in order for medications and staff to reach affected areas.

“The state hospital in Rundu is experiencing overcrowding due to the outbreak thus the ministry needs to put up tents to cater for the huge number of patients,” Haufiku said.

They have also decided to go to villages and settlements to help those who are not able to travel to the hospital to receive care.

Since 2015, the country has been experiencing an increase in malaria cases affecting mostly the regions bordering Angola and Zambia.

This situation is influenced by climatic and environmental factors as well as significant cross-border population movement from high malaria endemic countries.

Official data showed that in 2015, about 12,045 cases of malaria were recorded while 24,682 cases were recorded last year.

About 43 people died from Malaria in 2015 while 87 deaths were

About author

You might also like

BREAKING NEWS 0 Comments

FG re-affirms commitment to combat Measles

  By DEO  AKINBO,  Abuja The Federal Government has re-affirmed its commitment towards eradication of measles in Nigeria by year 2020. Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole, made this statement

Edo governor releases N100m to fight Lassa fever

Gov. Godwin Obaseki of Edo has ordered the immediate release of N100 million as first tranche payment for the procurement of equipment to fight Lassa fever. Obaseki said the fund

Nigeria has less than 1000 functional ambulances, Health Minister says

Minister of State for Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, on Thursday said Nigeria had less than 1000 functional ambulances which attend to medical emergencies in the country. The minister further revealed

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply